If you want to capture the attention of online shoppers, you need an ecommerce strategy that engages them quickly on your website. It takes less than a second for people to develop opinions about websites and decide to read further or find a different site. This means your product pages must immediately draw shoppers in and convince them to learn more about your items and services.
What can you do to ensure potential customers are interested enough in your product pages to keep reading? This best practice checklist from Virtucom Group offers essential features your ecommerce site needs to attract buyers and lead them to a purchasing decision.
Your Checklist for Great Product Pages
Designing your product pages to reflect the latest search engine optimization (SEO) standards is any retailer’s key to success. When developing your digital marketing strategy, prioritize the following:
- Meta descriptions: This summary lets a search engine know the contents of a page and helps consumers find your website. The meta description should include search terms and call-to-action (CTA) verbs, such as “shop” or “discover”, to encourage people to click your link. Aside from helping with SEO, keywords can help shoppers verify they found what they are looking for and improve click-through rates from the results page.
- Compelling images and videos: If the meta description persuades the consumer to visit your website, ensure your web page has plenty of pictures to keep them engaged. For instance, if you have an item with multiple colors, allow visitors to view it in each hue. Videos and 360° photos can maintain interest longer, ensuring the person stays on your site. Essentially, visual media makes up for the lost sensory experience customers get shopping in-store.
- Unique product descriptions: Some businesses copy and paste manufacturer-supplied product copy on their website without realizing the adverse consequences of this practice. Publishing the same material as your competitor will keep you from ranking higher on search engine results pages (SERP) – and it simply looks like the retailer is lazy when shoppers notice duplicated content. Instead, utilize unique product descriptions with information consumers desire to make purchasing decisions.
- Trust-building reviews: Product descriptions help customers determine if a product suits their needs, but they cannot indicate if it lives up to its promises. Customer reviews solve this issue by showing potential buyers which product features work as stated and which do not meet expectations. Keeping a negative review on your product page can be challenging, but it ultimately helps build trust with consumers. On the other hand, positive reviews can reassure a shopper that buying from your ecommerce site is the right choice.
- Fast load times: As mentioned, online shoppers have short attention spans and will not spend much time on a single web page. Some research has found that more than 50% of people expect pages to load in three seconds or less – and they may ditch the page before it even loads. Additionally, Google considers load speeds in their rankings, especially for mobile searches. If your pages do not load quickly, your chances to engage consumers are practically gone. Conversely, a rapid load speed will ensure people stay on your site and potentially become customers.
- Visible shopping cart and wish lists: Since the overarching goal is turning browsers into buyers, your virtual shopping cart function should be easy for people to access. You can use a bold color to differentiate the “Add to Cart” button from the rest of the page or place it at the top for convenient access. Wish lists can also streamline the shopping experience. For example, shoppers not committed to purchasing can place items on their wish list and return to the site when ready.
- Social media sharing: When people find a great product that meets their needs, they want to share the good news with friends and family. Besides connecting with others, social media has become a significant resource for advertising. To promote social media marketing, consider including buttons to Meta, Twitter, Instagram, and others on your ecommerce platform. This simple strategy can attract many new visitors to your website.
Enhance Your Product Pages with Virtucom Group
Given the vast amount of ecommerce sites, retailers need optimized product pages to seize the attention of shoppers and convert them into customers. Online retail websites can only achieve this goal with accurate and verified product data, which can be challenging for companies to attain while maintaining other aspects of their businesses.
If you need assistance with product data management, turn to Virtucom Group for trusted ecommerce services. Our managed item onboarding solution helps ensure every product description page has correct, relevant, and updated information. Additionally, we create unique ecommerce content with keywords to increase search engine optimization (SEO), draw more readers in, and boost traffic on your site. Contact us today to find a cost-effective answer to product data management and learn how we can support your ecommerce strategy.